Troubleshooting Property Owner is not available for Database Issue in SQL Server
Jun 15, 2012
In this article we will see the steps which you need to follow to resolve the following error message in SQL Server “Property Owner is not available for Database. This property may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to insufficient access rights”. The steps mentioned in this article are applicable to SQL Server 2005 and higher versions.
When you will see this error message in SQL Server
You will see the below mentioned error message when you Right click Database and Select Properties from the drop down menu in SQL Server to view the Database Properties.
Property Owner is not available for Database ''. This property may not exist for this object, or may not be retrievable due to insufficient access rights. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)
SQL Server throws the above mentioned error when the owner of the database is UNKNOWN.
TSQL script to identify Database Owner
You can identify who is the owner of the database using SP_HELPDB system procedure or using the below mentioned TSQL Script.
Use Master GO SP_HELPDB GO
Use Master GO SELECT SD.name AS [Database Name] ,SSP.name AS [User Name] ,SD.state_desc AS [Database Status] FROM sys.databases AS SD INNER JOIN sys.server_principals AS SSP ON SD.owner_sid = SSP.sid GO
Using sp_changedbowner system stored procedure you can assign SA login as the owner of the user database which had shown ownership issues. Execute the below mentioned TSQL code against the database for which you are unable to open database properties.
USE ReportServer GO EXEC sp_changedbowner 'sa' GO USE ReportServerTempDB GO EXEC sp_changedbowner 'sa' GO
Continue Free Learning...
Geeks who read this article also read…
- How to Backup Database in SQL Server
- How to Restore Database in SQL Server
- Performance Dashboard Reports in SQL Server 2012
- Tips to Avoid Account Lockout Issues
- Encrypt Database Backups in SQL Server Using MEDIAPASSWORD Option
- Using SP_SERVER_DIAGNOSTICS Stored Procedure Quickly Gather Diagnostic Data and Health Information in SQL Server 2012
- New Features in Microsoft SQL Server 2012 for Database Administrators
- New Features in SQL Server 2012 for Database Developers
- Why an SQL Server Database from a higher version cannot be restored onto a lower version?
- How to identify if the database was upgraded from a previous version of SQL Server
- Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 on Windows Server 2008 R2
- Using Transparent Data Encryption Feature of SQL Server 2008
- New Date and Time Data Types in SQL Server 2008
- Date and Time Functions in SQL Server 2008
- Configuring Database Instant File Initialization Feature of SQL Server
- Changing the default location of SQL Server Data and Log files
- Changing Default SQL Server Backup Folder in SQL Server 2008
- How to repair a Suspect Database in SQL Server
- Steps to Rebuild System Databases in SQL Server
- How to Get Exclusive Access to SQL Server Database
- Read More SQL Server Articles…