SQL Server 2014 Released to Manufacturing, General Availability in April 2014
March 18, 2014
SQL Server 2014 RTM, Microsoft’s Cloud First Data Platform
Microsoft SQL Server 2014 has been released to manufacturing; this was announced by Quentin Clark, Corporate Vice President of the Data Platform Group at Microsoft on Tuesday, March 18, 2014. Microsoft is promising the generally available of SQL Server 2014 by April 1, 2014.
Image Reference: Microsoft Data Platform Insider Blog
Beyond In-Memory OLTP and Hybrid capabilities, there is a lot more to be excited about in SQL Server 2014:
- Enhanced In-Memory ColumnStore for Data Warehousing – This was first delivered with SQL Server 2012, the In-Memory ColumnStore is now updatable with as much as 5x Data Compression for more real-time analytics support.
- New Buffer Pool Extension support to non-volatile memory such as Solid State Drives (SSDs) - Increases Performance and Extends In-Memory Buffer Pools to SSDs for faster paging.
- Greater Performance with new Query Optimization Capabilities.
- Enhanced AlwaysOn – Built upon SQL Server 2012, AlwaysOn delivers mission critical availability with up to eight readable secondaries and enhanced online operations. Once can even enroll a Window Azure Virtual Machine as part of your High Availability Topology.
- Enhanced Security - Achieve greater compliance with new capabilities for separation of duties. For example, a Database Administrator (DBA) can manage data without seeing the sensitive data itself.
- Greater scalability of compute, networking and storage with Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Scalability - Scale for up to 640 Logical Processors and 4TB of memory in a physical environment and up to 64 Virtual Processors and 1TB of memory per Virtual Machines.
- Network Virtualization and NIC teaming to increase network throughput and more easily move SQL Server between Data Centers.
- Storage virtualization with storage spaces to better optimize storage costs as well as improve resilience, performance and predictability.
- Greater ease of use for migrating existing apps to a Windows Azure Virtual Machine
SQL Server 2014 continues to deliver complete Business Intelligence (BI) platform for both corporate and self-service BI to help you gain faster insights on any data. Microsoft has recently released Power BI for Office 365. Power BI is our cloud-based business intelligence service that gives people a powerful new way to work with data in the tools they use every day, Excel and Office 365.
MORE SQL SERVER PRODUCT REVIEWS & SQL SERVER NEWS
- News: Microsoft launches PowerBI as a self-service tool for simplified data analysis and visualizations
- News: Oracle Software on Windows Azure
- News: Melissa Data Announces Move Update Function in Listware for Excel
- SQL Server News: New Idera SQL Elements Automatically Discovers and Tracks Enterprise wide SQL Server Inventory And Health In Under Five Minutes
- SQL Server News: New Free Tool from Idera to Detect SQL Server Database Corruption Issues
- SQL Server News: Melissa Data Announces Community Editions of its Flagship Data Quality Components for SQL Server
- Read More SQL Server News…